After my cat shredded my nearly completed Supergirl boots right before DragonCon it was a long time before I even wanted to look at them let alone repair them. Now that I’ve had a couple years to mourn I realize that my cat may have been on to something. I wanted to test out some vinyl repair compound I’d purchased before using it on the boots so I grabbed a scrap of the vinyl and used a staple to simulate the damage. It was then that I realized just how easy it was to mar the surface of the vinyl. I was even able to do permanent damage with just my fingernail. So why would I spend hours crafting footwear out of fabric that really isn’t suited for the rigors of walking around, even if it is only for costuming? Duly noted, Rogue.
I had tried the vinyl repair compound soon after the damage was done hoping to rehab them in time for DragonCon but the results were disappointing. It didn’t really do much to hide the claw marks and as soon as they were stretched any improvements it made were undone. That was when I knew the boots were toast so I tucked them away for a while. Fast forward two years and here we are. I pulled them back out and they didn’t make me feel nearly as nauseated as they had before. Yay!
My first thought was to purchase a second pair of base shoes but I was unable to find another pair that had that distinctive 80s shape. With no other acceptable alternative I’ve begun the task of pulling the ruined uppers off their base. I used Shoe Goo to attach them so removing them has been a chore. What seems to work best is grabbing an edge of the glue/fabric with forceps then rolling it to peel the upper off. It’s tedious and slow but it works, I already have one shoe free and ready for a new upper.
Now I just had to decide on the new material. I had some leather in my stash which I considered but there didn’t seem to be enough unblemished area to get two boots out of it. However, it had the same amount of stretch if not more than the stretch vinyl and it is far tougher. My search for garment grade leather commenced. I looked at a lot of expensive possibilities but eventually settled on this Perfection Fused Leather from Fabric.com. I ordered a sample in Ivory and a bottle of Angelus acrylic leather paint in Red to possibly paint it with. My materials arrived and I gave them a test run. I also tested the Dye-Na-Flow that I had on hand just out of curiosity. As you can see it didn’t quite take. The Angelus paint, on the other hand, looks pretty good. It has some streaks but I may be able to avoid that with practice. The bottle mentions that it can be used in an airbrush so I’ll consider that possibility as well.
I made a short video showing how well the Angelus paint holds up to stretching. Pardon the video quality, it’s my first video and I have lots of room for improvement.
It held up to my abuse remarkably well. No more Krylon Fusion or craft paint for my costume shoes! I also have a can of Nu-Life Color Spray that I bought for my Harley Quinn boot that I have yet to use. I may test it out on my scrap as well before I make my final decision on the finish.